Skip to main content

Bandra-Churchgate Slow!

"Look at your nails!" she complained.
"How the fuck am I supposed to eat Biryani with a spoon?" I expressed my displeasure.
"Stop yelling at me," she demanded.
We ate in silence and stood up to leave.
She wrapped her arm around mine.
I twitched.
I pulled my hand away.
"You hardly spend time with me these days, and now you're pissed off because I whined about your curry filled nails?" she grumbled.
(When I first took up this job, I wondered what it felt like to go on dates during the day.
Not that I've never been on dates during the day but getting off the night shift at 5 am on a Saturday morning and being date-ready wasn't my thing.)
"I am busy with work on most days, be happy I am at least doing this," I yawned.
"I am concerned about your health. You can easily find better jobs," she suggested.
I didn't reply. I bought two tickets to Bandra and found a place to sit on the ever-bustling Andheri station.
(We used to spend most of our weekends at Bandstand, and I used to read out my poems to her and watch the sun fade away into the Arabian sea. We were 21 then.)
"If this is how it will be then don't be surprised if I bail out of this relationship," she cautioned.
"Good. Bailout now only. Find someone who doesn't work nightshifts and..." the local arrived.
I was cut off as she held my hand and pulled me into a compartment.
We argued all through our journey.
She kept complaining about, 'How things were and how things changed.'
I defended my arguments by saying, "We aren't 21 anymore, baby!"
I stood up as the Churchgate bound local left Khar.
"Aren't you coming?" I asked.
"This isn't working out," I heard her voice faint as the train reached Bandra.
I hopped down; commuters got in and off.
She was going home.
(She lived in Dadar. I've been to her place a few times. We were 23 then)
I struggled to remember the correct address as my cab reached Dadar.
There was no way I could reach her home before her.
I took a deep breath and knocked on their door.
She opened the door.
"Can I talk to your parents?" I stared into her bright eyes.
"About?"
"Our marriage."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Kabira

Dear Kabira, I don't know what's perfect, the lyrics or the feelings you say which I fail to express. Sometimes you meet some songs that melt you from the places you are afraid to touch. Re Kabira Maan Jaa (रे कबीरा मान जा) Re Faqeera Maan Jaa (रे फ़कीरा मान जा) Aaja Tujhko Pukaare Teri Parchhaaiyan (आजा तुझको पुकारे तेरी परछाईयाँ) Your heart just can't stop beating for the lines that play with all the untouched memories you have. Loneliness engulfs you, it tears you part by part and this song just makes you feel everything you hide from the world. This song calls you to be back home and realise your home needs you. It questions why do you want to wander for answers when your home is right there in front of you? Your shadow is calling you back. Come home. Tooti Chaarpaai Wohi (टूटी चारपाई वही) Thandi Purvaai Rasta Dekhe, (ठंडी पुरवाई रस्ता देखे) Doodhon Ki Malaai Wohi (दूधों की मलाई वही) Mitti Ki Suraahi Rasta Dekhe (मिट्टी की सुराही रस्ता देखे) This song gives beautiful me

Biryani without Elaichi

16.06.15 I'm not one of those who can manage to maintain their diary every night, but today is special. Thanks to A common friend, she convinced me to meet her second best friend (like she termed it when she saw my look). Well, it was her who introduced us, but it was us who had the conversation, a conversation I could never imagine myself in, especially with someone I had just met. I wish I could write the whole talk, but it's too much after a long break I took. To summarize- how it's so difficult to find Biryani without Elaichi, experiences with lizards and cockroaches, weird encounters with aunties in trains, blah blah. I also had a delicious Vadapav, but surprisingly now, I have a faint memory of it. All I remember was, the scooty ride back home, I was smiling. Today is the day; I met Ashini. 17.06.15 Now when I think of it, it's strange, how a foodie doesn't remember the taste a Vadapav, how an introvert decided to meet a stranger and melt in her presence. She

Tujhe Kitna Chahne Lage Hum...

There comes a phase in our life, where neither can we hold feelings, nor can we let it go. We hopelessly love them without any expectations, without any condition, and even knowing they won't love you back, you still love them holding all the broken pieces of your heart. 'Tujhe Kitna Chahne Lage', is a song that directly holds the feeling we always want to express but we can't. And every time the songs plays randomly from our playlist, we all just feel the song immensely, holding the feelings out, which were graved deep inside our heart. // दिल का दरिया बह ही गया... राहों में यूँ जो तू मिल गया // It's not easy to love someone who we know won't love us back ever, where this song is a struggle between heart and mind, and how difficult is it to hold onto the feelings and even its not easy to let it go and move on. This song best represents the unrequited love, the unsaid emotions, and a broken heart. // वक्त ने है किया हम पे कैसा सितम... तुम भी बेज़ार हो, बर्बाद है