Skip to main content

What do you do when your best friend is crying?

What do you do when your best friend is crying?
There are a few persons whom you never wish to see with tears in their eyes.
I attended college as usual.
It was a regular Saturday afternoon; the cultural activities were in full swing.
More deafening cheers accompanied loud music from the auditorium.
I kept calling her from half an hour; she did not answer.
She was nowhere to be seen too.
I inquired few of our mutual friends if they had seen her around.
"She is always with you," said one.
"Heard you guys fought," giggled another.
"What rubbish ya! They're best friends, they wouldn't have fought," argued a third.
I smiled and left the place, still searching.
There she was sitting in a corner, engaged busily on her phone.
This pissed me off.
I walked up to her and said, "Answer your phone."
She looked up; her eyes were teary and red.
"You crying?" I asked in disbelief.
"No," she said.
Her voice was thick.
"Is it because you're losing in ludo?" I tried to lighten up the situation.
"What happened?" I knelt down in front for her rather than sitting next to her.
She sobbed a little.
I offered her my handkerchief.
"I won't wash it this time," she wiped her tiny red nose.
I smiled, "Tell me what happened?"
"I am hurt, can't you see?" Her nostrils flared up.
"But why?" I asked, confused.
"You hurt me," she whispered.
"What did I do?" I stood up, confronting.
"Nothing. You didn't shout at me; you didn't ask me to leave, you didn't use swear words without even thinking twice. You didn't do anything," she wiped her nose again.
And suddenly I was guilty conscious.
I knelt down again, "I am sorry."
"I decided to never talk to you again, but you were the only who came searching for me," she sobbed harder.
I put my index finger on her forehead and pushed it back.
"I am your best friend, and I can't watch you crying," I stated.
She wiped her tears dry and stood up.
"Buy me chocolate to compensate," she ordered.
"And I will never do anything that will leave you in tears," I promised.
"You better keep up to that."

Comments

  1. Giving a big hug assuring that you will help can do wonders to boost up in every ways.
    I believe that at times just saying to them - I’m here for you, & will listen if that’s what you need - is the best & kindest thing one can do.
    Everybody goes through a very rough draft of patch at times & wearing down with exhausted brains & heart & no one to turn to. That's so sickening and might end up at hospital to be checked up and get meds. Its sad and just physically spent.
    Sometimes there are strangers like this nurse who came in and simply asked you're not feeling good, are you okay? And she broke down and started to cry because she was the first person who ever asked her if she was okay, in all the weeks she had been sick not a single soul had uttered any words of comfort. It was such small & simple thing but it meant EVERYTHING.
    She was still crying extensively and all I could do was to hold her and pacify her to feel better.....
    She was my best friend and later after couple of years to my surprise she turned out to be my sister in law ��..... She was extremely happy to be related and told everyone about me comforting her with patience, kindness and understanding. My cousin brother is extremely kind towards me bcz of my actionable acts towards her....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts here...

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Kabira

Dear Kabira, I don't know what's perfect, the lyrics or the feelings you say which I fail to express. Sometimes you meet some songs that melt you from the places you are afraid to touch. Re Kabira Maan Jaa (रे कबीरा मान जा) Re Faqeera Maan Jaa (रे फ़कीरा मान जा) Aaja Tujhko Pukaare Teri Parchhaaiyan (आजा तुझको पुकारे तेरी परछाईयाँ) Your heart just can't stop beating for the lines that play with all the untouched memories you have. Loneliness engulfs you, it tears you part by part and this song just makes you feel everything you hide from the world. This song calls you to be back home and realise your home needs you. It questions why do you want to wander for answers when your home is right there in front of you? Your shadow is calling you back. Come home. Tooti Chaarpaai Wohi (टूटी चारपाई वही) Thandi Purvaai Rasta Dekhe, (ठंडी पुरवाई रस्ता देखे) Doodhon Ki Malaai Wohi (दूधों की मलाई वही) Mitti Ki Suraahi Rasta Dekhe (मिट्टी की सुराही रस्ता देखे) This song gives beautiful me

Biryani without Elaichi

16.06.15 I'm not one of those who can manage to maintain their diary every night, but today is special. Thanks to A common friend, she convinced me to meet her second best friend (like she termed it when she saw my look). Well, it was her who introduced us, but it was us who had the conversation, a conversation I could never imagine myself in, especially with someone I had just met. I wish I could write the whole talk, but it's too much after a long break I took. To summarize- how it's so difficult to find Biryani without Elaichi, experiences with lizards and cockroaches, weird encounters with aunties in trains, blah blah. I also had a delicious Vadapav, but surprisingly now, I have a faint memory of it. All I remember was, the scooty ride back home, I was smiling. Today is the day; I met Ashini. 17.06.15 Now when I think of it, it's strange, how a foodie doesn't remember the taste a Vadapav, how an introvert decided to meet a stranger and melt in her presence. She

Tujhe Kitna Chahne Lage Hum...

There comes a phase in our life, where neither can we hold feelings, nor can we let it go. We hopelessly love them without any expectations, without any condition, and even knowing they won't love you back, you still love them holding all the broken pieces of your heart. 'Tujhe Kitna Chahne Lage', is a song that directly holds the feeling we always want to express but we can't. And every time the songs plays randomly from our playlist, we all just feel the song immensely, holding the feelings out, which were graved deep inside our heart. // दिल का दरिया बह ही गया... राहों में यूँ जो तू मिल गया // It's not easy to love someone who we know won't love us back ever, where this song is a struggle between heart and mind, and how difficult is it to hold onto the feelings and even its not easy to let it go and move on. This song best represents the unrequited love, the unsaid emotions, and a broken heart. // वक्त ने है किया हम पे कैसा सितम... तुम भी बेज़ार हो, बर्बाद है